Holiday Home Safety Tips for Seniors
During the holiday season, you find yourself spending lots of time with your senior loved ones. It is also a perfect time to make sure grandma and grandpa’s house is safe. Whether your aging loved ones are living with you or alone, it is important to make sure they are safely celebrating. Although bright holiday lights and decorations are lovely, be sure to keep these tips in mind when aging loved ones are nearby.
- Keep it simple! Use basic decorations that will not create clutter. You want to make sure there is lots of room to walk.
- Keep extension cords away from any hallways and walking paths to protect seniors from falls.
- Stay away from candles. Use battery-powered candles instead or decorate using bright centerpieces.
- Do not use artificial snow sprays. Instead, use snow blankets.
Safe lighting tips:
- Make sure all areas (especially rooms seniors spend their days in) are properly lit. Dim holiday lights are beautiful but can cover up fall dangers making it hard to see for seniors.
- Use nightlights wherever possible especially in bedrooms and bathrooms.
- Make sure light switches are visible and are easy to access.
- Use no more than three standard-size sets of lights per single extension cord.
Christmas tree tips:
- Turn off tree lights when not home or before bedtime.
- Place the tree away from fireplaces, radiators, and other heat sources.
- Place the tree out of the way of traffic and do not block doors.
- Check each set of lights, new or old, for broken or cracked sockets, frayed or bare wires, or loose connections.
- Keep floors clean and clutter-free.
- Keep outside sidewalks clear.
- If you are rearranging furniture, make sure everyone can move around it easily.
- Use non-slip pads underneath rugs.
Considering these safety guidelines can help ensure everyone’s holiday celebrations are both happy and bright! At Eden Senior Care, we understand the special care seniors need during the holiday season in order to make their home fun and safe. If you are interested in learning about these home tips or if you are in need of senior living services, please contact one of our assisting living communities.
Nature’s Point, 320-258-7027
The Heights, 608-882-9995
Bella Vista, 920-393-9998
Mission Creek, 262-832-1020
Lake Shore Manor, 920-393-3871
Woods of Caledonia, 262-639-6015
Wolverton Glen, 920-745-1199